Thursday, July 30, 2009

Top 10 Favorite Things

The Good—I’m starting with the good so that you all will be reassured that I do continue to love this place, the people and the work God has called me to, but as the two month mark is made comes a set of frustrations and struggles that are real and difficult to navigate. So, you’re getting an earful of that too! Ok, I’m beginning with a list of my Top 10 Favorite Things about the rhythm of my life here so far. I suppose these are in no particular order.

10) The ice cream truck, which is really a motorcycle with a cooler strapped to the back seat, rides throughout the neighborhood playing “Silent Night.” Who doesn’t love Christmas in July?!

9) I’m so green! I walk to work!

8) My morning commute involves passing one adorable goat, greeting at least 3 or 4 roaming chickens, jumping over a stream, brushing past a corn field, hugging an old woman who usually sells me mangoes, trudging through a trash heap (which might require a Top 10 list of its own), and cringing at the squeals from pig slaughtering. All before 8 AM. In its own way it is beautiful.

7) The Muslim call to prayer that often interrupts my sleep. I love being reminded that there are faithful people praying even as I am drifting into sleep.

6) While “mzungu” is a common way for children and strangers to identify a white person in their midst, I am slowly being greeted as Namubiru (my African name) by my friends and neighbors…and sometimes even strangers!

5) I get at least 25 hugs a day from students who usually run up to me in delight, “Auntie Alisha!” It’s the best job ever!

4) I can now successfully light and maintain the charcoal stove whenever I want to cook with it, and when I don’t want to, I just turn on my gas stove. It’s divine.

3) I can hand wash all of my underwear in an hour! Miraculous, I tell you.

2) I haven’t gotten malaria yet!

1) The people who work at the grocery store where I shop know my name. It’s the ultimate!

No comments: