Monday, May 5, 2008

For those of you...

















For those of you who know me, you know that I am in love with Uganda. I fell in love with a place called Ekitangaala Ranch in 2005 when my best friend, Erin and I spent five months there teaching, tutoring, directing a high school play, and rocking babies. We returned to Uganda in 2007 for a two month summer reunion with our adopted Ugandan family and our precious Ugandan friends. And even then I knew I would return to Uganda again.


As of May 12, 2008 I will be off for yet another amazing African adventure. This time around I will be working with Christopher House Ministries, a community center focused on “Building Christ Centered Families." In order to have a long term, life-changing effect on the people of this poverty stricken, AIDS ravaged, war-torn country, CHM uses theologically based programs to teach children art, sculpture, music, sports, reading and soon theatre arts. They also teach parenting classes and English to adults in the community. Outside the city they are building a campground in order to do and holiday camps to take the kids out of the city for Bible Study, games and good times they would never have the opportunity to experience! I will be serving in the area of reading, theatre arts and spiritual formation groups for youth.

As my vocational calling takes shape, I see in myself the gifts and abilities to disciple and empower youth and children especially in international settings. There is part of me that always knew I would spend part of my life outside of the US. This summer will be a time for me to gain a more concrete sense of that calling. This summer’s journey will be a time for me to ask some difficult questions and do some serious searching as I seek a permanent ministry placement after I graduate from Duke in May 2009. So, the journey is definitely not over in August. But for now, I’m Alisha, (packing to be) on Location in Uganda, East Africa!

4 comments:

Henderson24 said...

thats kool i whish i could go with you cuz !! i think it would be a life changeing and learning excperiance for me ..... well ill keep u in my prayers and u will be on my mind evreyday so i hope u have fun and send me post cards or somethign

Anonymous said...

I definitely cried while reading this...i hope that your experience over there is an amazing eye opening adventure

Amanda K

Heather Rodrigues said...

Thanks for inviting me to be a part of your "blogging'! I look forward to reading about the ways God will use you in Uganda this summer-- Blessings and safe travels!

Karen K said...

WAY TO GO!!!!! Give Shelly and Enoch and the CHM staff a big, long, tight hug for me, and don't let them go for a long time.
Remember to eat your garlic.. it'll keep the mosquitos away. If it slithers, avoid it. If it's got 8 long legs, brown, moves at the speed of light.. it's your friend, don't kill it. If it's black, flies at night and looks like a bird, and makes funny noises.. it's also your friend. Have a cuppa tea for me!
Love to all.. Karen K