Friday, May 23, 2008

Peace Talks in Uganda

There have been serious peace talks this week at Christopher House. In 2005, a certain 1 year old by the name of Isaac hated me. I mean it...HATED me! With clear conviction, he would scream every time I came near. I even tried to pick him up when he had fallen on the pavement, but he would have no part in it. it was clear, he did not want to be my friend. Oh sure, it got comical. Everyone thought it was funny that he feared me. I tell you, it was not funny. I am proud to announce that we have reached an agreement to be friends. I'm not sure exactly how it happened (or how long it will last) , but now he's calling me Auntie Lisha, falling asleep in my lap during staff meetings, running as fast as he can into my arms and playing jump rope with me too. I'm confident that there will be no more turmoil until I leave because I just might cry like a baby when I have to say goodbye in August.

In other news, my favorite thing happened this week during staff meeting. It was raining and the sun was shining at the same time. I just love that. "It's my favorite," I whispered to Sylivia who was sitting next to me. "It means something in Uganda--it means God delivers." What a beautiful reminder.

The Sylivia who works at Shiloh found out that she is Positive. She has also recently lost her husband and is working hard to make it financially. Pray that God will be present with Sylivia as she struggles with this new crushing reality. Her joy has not been taken. She still smiles from deep within,and her laugh is contagious. Still, I know she fears for the future of her children and the unknown future for herself. How I wish God could magically deliver her from this pain.

Well, I'm off to play with some of my favorite kids in the world.

From Bunga, this is Alisha on Location.

2 comments:

Magen Quiroz said...

so good to hear about your trip over and all of your "welcome backs"... you are amazing and will be used greatly! i'm so glad your peace talks were successful!

Laura said...

We always said that sun in the rain meant that the devil was beating his wife. Your version is a bit more upbeat.
Keep posting - it's good to know that you are doing well. Can't wait to hear how the Bible study is going, too.
Peace, love and prayers to you, friend-
Laura